Do you find yourself dreaming about retirement and finally taking that exotic trip?
Do you need a vacation from your vacation?
Many of us have been trained to think that taking a break is something that happens once in a while. We can have a short break at night after work or on the weekends, but we see most of our breaks happening at certain special times or places, like on a dream vacation or at exotic retirement locations.
I propose that we should take breaks throughout our days and work weeks rather than waiting for an appointed time in the future. Obviously work is necessary, but what if you could take care of your responsibilities and still take mini breaks that keep you from feeling like the proverbial hamster running on its wheel?
Here are ten simple ways to take daily breaks that neither have to impede your progress nor wreck your bank account:
- Breathe more slowly every once in a while. Take deeper breaths.
- Allow yourself stretch breaks. Your body will thank you.
- Listen to music while you work or drive (instrumental if you need more concentration).
- Listen to the breeze. Stop and let it play across your face.
- Remind yourself that sometimes it really is the thought that counts. It’s fun to daydream.
- Without ruining your green goals, take a longer shower or bath (mini spa moment).
- Find a book or a television show that you can get lost in for a bit.
- Take a Staycation. Stay home and get all those little things done. Enjoy your home.
- Do your chores with peace in mind. Even washing dishes can be a “zen moment.”
- Light a candle or put some drops of your favorite essential oil around your work zone. Also, have some flowers or something bright nearby.
And of course, get a massage. Once a week. Once a month. Once a year. One of my clients sometimes visits Ireland in her mind’s eye during her massage. Talk about Europe on a budget!
So add taking a break to your to do list. You don’t have to wait.